Friday, October 11, 2013

Saturday 12th Oct - IRRI

Typhoon Santi passed through the northern part of Luzon this weekend, threatening lots of rain but not actually delivering much. On Saturday Richard and I continued the search for migrants, with little success. A pair of Plain Bush-hens were the main hightlight.

Later that afternoon I returned and located a Red-necked Phalarope and a Kentish Plover. The phalarope looks overall paler than the first about 2 weeks ago, and I'm fairly sure it's a new bird.

The Red-necked Phalarope was still present on Sunday, and the Kentish Plover count had increased to 3. On the upland farms I relocated 2 of the Little Grebes that were on the experimental station last month (1 adult and 1 juvenile)

A pair of Plain Bush Hens on the Experimental Farm. Not a common sight at IRRI, being much more often seen on the forest edge.
What I believe to be a second Red-necked Phalarope of the autumn..


 .. it appears to be somewhat paler overall than this bird that was in exactly the same field on 29th Sept, less than 2 weeks ago.


Paddyfield Pipit. I'm sure a Richard's is going to turn up soon...
Another Kentish Plover also showed up in the afternoon. This one looks comparatively small-billed, possibly alexandrinus.
 ...by Sunday afternoon there were at least 3, (and this one has a much more robust bill, surely dealbatus).
Cinnamon Bittern


Black-winged Stilt


Typhoon Santi on Friday afternoon. Lots of rain promised, but Saturday wasn't too bad at all. A bit damp to start, but it soon stopped raining, and while the sun didn't show it stayed dry most of the day.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Paul

    I am glad that I have found your blog site , Birding in the Philippines. I am UK based but an due to do a birding trip in late Feb to mid March (3 weeks) 2014. I will have a good read of your blog for tips etc. My email is dave.bancroft@yahoo.com if you would be kind enough the mail me at some point for advise etc. Places that we are visiting are Subic Bay area, Palawan, Bohol, Cebu and Mt Kitinglad

    Regards
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete